Low Carb Shake Buy Now
Recipe by Brandon McDearis
While many, if not most, recipes are difficult to alter to a ketogenic version, we have found that concocting (and even finding) a legitimate keto-friendly chili to be especially challenging. More often than not, the protein gets a little out of control in its ratio to fat, and the net carbs are also unusually high in most chili recipes. However, we have devised one here that fits into (or very close to) the ideal macronutrient range. This chili is easy enough to prepare for a beginner cook to prepare, and the flavor of the finished product is superb.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 pound ground beef (80% lean/20% fat)
- ½ pound ground Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 4 ripe avocados, diced
- Green onions, sliced (optional garnish)
- Cilantro, chopped (optional garnish)
- Jalapeños, diced (optional garnish)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional garnish)
- Sour cream (optional garnish)
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil at medium-high heat. Add the onion and green pepper, and stir for about 3-4 minutes until it begins to soften. Add the ground beef and ground Italian sausage. Season with salt and pepper. Stir continuously until meat is browned.
- Add all the spices, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste, and stir together until thoroughly combined. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Check seasoning and add more salt and pepper to your taste.
- Top each bowl with half of a chopped avocado and serve.
- Garnish with cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions, cilantro, and jalapeños, if desired.
- Yield: 8