Keto Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s Pie is a popular comfort food dish, traditionally made with a topping of mashed potatoes and cheese. In our keto version, we use cauliflower to drastically cut down on the carbs so you can still enjoy this dish while staying on track with your keto or low-carb lifestyle.
In addition to cauliflower, our recipe uses ground beef, onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, garlic, and, of course, cheese. All these nutrient-rich ingredients are baked together to yield a delicious dish the entire family will love, keto or not!
If you make this recipe, please post a photo on Instagram and tag @ketologic!
This recipe is:
- A good source of fiber
- Full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
Ingredients in this recipe:
- Ground Beef
- Tomato Paste
- Avocado Oil (we recommend FBOMB Avocado Oil)
- Chicken Stock
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Heavy Cream
Top 3 health benefits of this recipe:
- Cauliflower is full of vitamins and minerals, with minimal carbs. It contains vitamins B6, C, and K, folate, potassium, pantothenic acid, manganese, magnesium, and phosphorus . Moreover, cauliflower has 3g of fiber for every one-cup serving. Fiber is important for many reasons, including disease prevention and weight loss support . A diet rich in fiber is associated with a lower risk of diseases, such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes .
- Avocado oil is a rich source of oleic acid, an omega-9 fatty acid . It’s also a source of lutein, a carotenoid which improves eye health . Consuming avocado oil can help improve cholesterol and blood pressure, and reduce the risk of heart disease . And some studies show this heart-healthy oil can minimize the symptoms of arthritis and other joint conditions . Finally, avocado oil has antioxidant properties, which may prevent cell damage .
- Ground beef offers protein and fat, plus many vitamins and minerals. Red meat contains conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which is associated with weight loss, improved metabolic health, and a reduced risk of some diseases . Beef is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins B6 and B12, zinc, iron, and selenium. Whenever possible, choose grass-fed beef.
- TOPPING: 1 head cauliflower, riced or cut into small florets
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or Parmesan)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- FILLING: 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- ¾ cup chicken or beef stock
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- To prepare the mashed cauliflower, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook for about 10 minutes. Drain the cauliflower and place in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan or microwave oven, heat the butter and cream together until butter is melted.
- Mix in the butter/cream mixture and salt and pepper to the bowl and mash until smooth. Stir in the cheese. Cover and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon avocado oil in a large sauté pan / oven-safe skillet over medium heat and cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink.
- Add garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Remove beef and garlic from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside in a mixing bowl. Drain excess fat from the pan.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of avocado oil and add onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms and thyme sprigs. Season vegetables with salt and pepper, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Sauté until veggies are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the ground beef back into the pan and stir in the tomato paste, cooking for another 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle the almond flour over the mixture and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth one ladle at a time and continue to cook, stirring for a few more minutes, until the liquid has thickened. Remove the thyme and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the casserole by topping the meat mixture with dollops of the mashed cauliflower, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon to create a swirled pattern. Drizzle additional dots of butter on top, if desired.
- Transfer to the oven and set a foil-lined baking sheet underneath. Bake for 30 minutes, then broil until the top is golden brown and bubbly, 2-3 minutes.
- Let the casserole stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10
Submit your review