Reuben Cabbage Rolls
Low Carb Shake Buy Now
Recipe by Brandon McDearis
These Reuben Cabbage Rolls are stuffed full of savory corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut. Celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day with this tasty keto-friendly dish!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup reduced-sugar ketchup
- 2 tablespoons pickled relish
- dash of hot sauce
- pinch of Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound cooked corned beef (about 2-3 cups), diced
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 5 slices Swiss cheese, diced
- 8 large cabbage leaves
- Put a large pot of water on the stove at high heat and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, make the dressing by placing the first 3 ingredients in a bowl. Add the hot sauce, salt and pepper and whisk together until thoroughly blended; set aside.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and melt the butter. Add the corned beef and sauerkraut to the pan. Stir around for 2-3 minutes until just heated through. (Note: If there is excess liquid, put the mixture into a fine mesh strainer and squeeze out the juice, then return it to the pan). Turn the heat off and add half of the dressing, as well as the Swiss cheese. Stir together until fully incorporated. Leave in the pan until ready to use.
- Cut the thick rib off of the bottom of the cabbage leaves and discard. Drop the cabbage leaves in the boiling water; keep submerged with tongs for 2-3 minutes until they are soft. Turn the heat off and pull the cabbage leaves out of the pot with tongs and put them into a colander. Run cold water over the cabbage leaves to shock them and prevent them from overcooking. Stack the cabbage leaves gently on a flat surface, such as a cutting board. Note: It is wise to start with a few extra cabbage leaves in case some of them break or crack during the boiling and handling.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spoon one-eighth of the corned beef/sauerkraut mixture into one end of the cabbage leaf. Roll the leaf from the mixture side over once, fold the ends and continue rolling like a burrito. Place the cabbage roll seam-side down onto a lightly sprayed/greased baking dish. Repeat this step until you are out of the corned beef mixture and/or cabbage leaves.
- Cover the casserole dish with foil and bake for about 10 minutes until just heated through. Serve with the other half of the dressing as dipping sauce.
- Yield: 8