Sausage “Cornbread” Stuffing
Low Carb Shake Buy Now
You probably thought stuffing was off the Thanksgiving menu, didn’t you? Not to worry – you can pile our sausage stuffing on your plate and enjoy every bite of it. Our “cornbread” stuffing is a low-carb mix of almond flour, butter, and sour cream. Add our savory blend of ground sausage, veggies, and fresh herbs, and you’ve got a side dish that’s worthy of being the main course.
- 1 cup almond flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 onion, diced small
- 3 stalks celery, diced small
- 5 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped
*Can substitute ¼ cup of the almond flour with ¼ cup ground flax to create a nuttier crust with increased omega-3 fats and decreased protein.
Note: It is always preferential to use grass-fed meat and dairy products, as well as Himalayan salt.
- Cornbread Preparation: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, sift together the almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the eggs, 2 tablespoons butter (save the other half for the sausage mixture), and sour cream. Stir together with a spoon until completely smooth.
- Pour/scrape the batter into a well-greased 8x4 loaf pan. Bake for about 45 minutes. Test the middle of the cornbread with a toothpick or knife. If it comes out clean, the cornbread is done. Allow it to cool for 20-30 minutes before removing from the pan. Note: It is best to make the cornbread one day ahead of the stuffing, but it is not required.
- Stuffing Preparation: Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large skillet, brown the ground sausage over medium-low heat until the fat is rendered, about 10 minutes.
- Add the next 5 ingredients (onion, celery, mushrooms, garlic, and remaining butter) and raise the heat to medium-high. Stir frequently until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the white wine, and continue stirring until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Crumble the cornbread in a large bowl. Remove the pan from the heat and pour the contents into the bowl over the crumbled cornbread. Add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and check the seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour the stuffing into a lightly-greased/sprayed 9x13 baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Rotate, remove cover, and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until set and cooked through. Remove from oven and allow to rest 15 minutes before serving.
- Yield: 8