Chicken Parmesan is one of those comfort foods that are not exactly keto-friendly in their traditional form. However, with a little tweaking, we came up with a low-carb recipe that not only works, but is also quite delicious while staying close to the ideal 75/20/5 percent macro-range.
In our recipe, we use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts to up the fat macros. To get the crispy cutlets we all know and love, we use a crust of flaxseed meal, pork rinds, and Parmesan cheese then shallow-fry the cutlets in oil.
Your entire family will love this low-carb keto-friendly version of this popular Italian comfort dish.
This recipe is:
Ingredients you need:
- Chicken thighs
- Heavy cream
- Flaxseed meal
- Pork rinds
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Marinara sauce
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
Keto Chicken Parmesan
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 3 ounces pork rinds, crushed
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1-2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup low-carb tomato or marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Pound out the chicken thighs into cutlets.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and heavy cream.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flaxseed meal, crushed pork rinds, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Dip the chicken into the egg and cream mixture and then dip it into the breading mixture. Cover the chicken well in the breading and shake off any excess; put the chicken on a plate or piece of foil and repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a pan at medium-high heat until hot, but not smoking, about 2-3 minutes. Fry the chicken on each side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown all the way around.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Place the fried chicken on the sheet pan. Top each piece with 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce and 2 tablespoons of mozzarella cheese (use more if desired).
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the cheese melts and starts to get golden brown.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4