Low Carb Shake Buy Now
Recipe by Brandon McDearis
Our Eggplant Lasagna is a delicious low-carb marriage of two Italian comfort dishes: Eggplant Parmesan and Meat Lasagna. The roasted eggplant slices serve as the lasagna “noodles,” nestled in between layers of marinara sauce, Italian sausage, and ricotta cheese. Even your non-keto friends will love this!
- 1 eggplant, sliced thinly into 8-12 slices
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- Lay eggplant slices on a flat surface, such as a cutting board, and sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons of salt. Leave for 20-30 minutes to draw moisture out of the eggplant. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pat eggplant dry with paper towels.
- Drizzle the eggplant with the olive oil and rub to coat both sides. Lay on an oiled/sprayed sheet pan and roast for about 10 minutes until soft. While eggplant is roasting, brown the Italian sausage in a skillet at medium heat until cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Discard excess fat and/or juices. Reduce the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together the Italian sausage, and ricotta cheese. In another bowl, mix the mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with pan spray. Pour a half cup of marinara sauce into the bottom of the pan. Lay 2-3 eggplant slices evenly on the sauce (you can cut them in half if you have trouble fitting them evenly), spread evenly with one-fourth of the sausage and ricotta cheese mixture, then top with one-fourth of the mozzarella/Parmesan mixture. Repeat until the baking dish is full, ending with mozzarella/Parmesan at the top.
- Cover the lasagna with foil and bake for 30-40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 10 minutes until the top starts to brown. Remove from the oven and let the lasagna sit for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour(s)
- Yield: 8