Calling all seafood lovers! Our keto-friendly Fisherman's Chowder is a creamy, savory, and comforting stew full of your favorite tender white fish, cheese, and bacon. This is the perfect low-carb soup for chilly fall and winter evenings.
This recipe is: keto-friendly, low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free, no added sugar
New to keto? Check out our Keto Food Pyramid.
Looking for a wine to go with this recipe? Read our Toast to Keto-Friendly Wines.
- 5 pieces bacon, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 head cauliflower, core removed and finely chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound cooked white, flaky fish like halibut or cod, shredded
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a heavy-bottomed soup pot, cook the bacon at low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring often until fat is rendered and bacon starts to crisp. Add the butter and onion, and increase the heat to medium-high; cook for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes until onion is soft.
- Deglaze with the white wine, and stir continuously for 1 minute. Add the paprika, thyme, chicken stock and cauliflower. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low simmer and allow to cook slowly for 20-25 minutes until the cauliflower is soft. Add the heavy cream and continue simmering for another 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup with a handheld immersion blender or puree in a blender and return to the pot at low heat. Whisk in the shredded fish and the rest of the ingredients.
- Adjust seasoning as needed. If the chowder is too thin, let it reduce down for a few more minutes and/or thicken with more cheese. If it becomes too thick, thin out with more stock or cream. Note: This chowder is a great way to use up leftover seafood. Potatoes are traditionally used in this recipe, but cauliflower reduces the amount of carbohydrates and adds to the nutritional value.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour(s)
- Yield: 8