Bunless cheeseburgers are all but a staple of the ketogenic diet.After all, they taste great, and they're easy (and versatile) to cook. Just 15 minutes on the grill or stove and you have a protein-and-fat packed main course for your low-carb nutrition plan.But that doesn't mean burgers can't get old after a while. Most of us get lazy and end up topping ours with the same ingredients over and over again (mustard, hot sauce, sugar-free ketchup, etc.).And that's exactly what sets these keto bunless cheeseburgers apart from your average recipe.Two unlikely contenders sit atop these burgers—avocado mayonnaise and marinated artichoke hearts. Along with cheese, the end result is a satisfying, fatty, buttery taste that might leave you asking the question: Where have artichokes been all my life?You'll be even more surprised by just how good these toppings are for you. This recipe, as you're about to learn, is full of surprises.Go straight to recipe
Ingredients Used in This Recipe
- Grass-fed ground beef
- Marinated artichokes
Why You Should Try This Keto Bunless Cheeseburger RecipeIf you've been on keto for a while, you're probably a bunless cheeseburger "pro" by now.Burgers are easy to throw together and taste great, which is why so many people lean in this direction when they first go low-carb.But the reason you should try this keto bunless cheeseburger recipe isn't because of the burger. It's for the deliciously fatty avocado mayo that you'll spread on top, and the marinated artichokes.Those aren't two ingredients you see too often on a bunless cheeseburger recipe, which sets this one apart from many of the others you'll find online.You probably already know all about avocados, too—they're packed with heart-healthy fats, protein, and vitamins and minerals that make them somewhat of a "darling" superfood on the keto diet .But perhaps you aren't privy to the benefits of artichokes. Not many people are, probably because fresh ones only come around once or twice a year.But as you'll learn below, there are some seriously awesome health benefits you can reap by including them on your bunless cheeseburgers (and on a keto diet in general).
Top 3 Health Benefits of this RecipeHere are three more reasons to give this keto bunless cheeseburger recipe a try.
1. Grass-Fed Beef is Superior to Grain-Fed BeefGrass-fed cows live longer, happier lives, which translates to higher quality of beef at the grocery store. Studies show grass-fed beef has higher levels of antioxidants and better fatty acid profiles (higher levels of linoleic acid, for example, which boosts heart health) . It's also better for the environment and is a good way to support local farmers.
2. Grass-Fed Beef has an Awesome Nutrient Breakdown for KetoIn terms of protein sources, grass-fed ground beef is about as good as it gets for keto dieters.
- On the macronutrient side of things, grass-fed beef has 21 grams of protein per serving, no carbs, and about 17 grams of fat . This perfectly fits the macro breakdown for keto dieters without going overboard on protein. (Don't forget, the avocado, mayo, and cheese help boost the fat count way up.)
- On the micronutrient level, grass-fed beef contains key vitamins and minerals like vitamin B6 and B12, niacin, phosphorus, and potassium .
3. Artichokes are Incredibly Good for YouFor some reason—perhaps because they're more seasonable than some veggies—you don't hear about the benefits of artichokes as much as other common low-carb produce.That's a bummer, seeing as artichokes offer a ton of health benefits. For example:
- A large artichoke has 10 grams of fiber per serving, and also 3 grams of protein .
- Studies show artichokes have a hepatoprotective effect, meaning they help protect the liver from damage .
- Polyphenols found inside artichokes have an anti-aging effect on your skin and organs .
Other Ground Beef Keto Recipes You'll Love
Bunless Cheeseburger with Avocado Mayo and Artichokes
- Season beef with garlic powder, salt and pepper, and divide into four 4-ounce patties.
- Cook burgers to desired level of doneness indoors in a cast iron skillet, or outdoors on a grill set to medium-high heat, flipped halfway through cooking time (4-5 minutes per side). During the last 2 minutes of cooking, top each with 1 slice of cheese to melt.
- To make avocado mayo, combine ripe avocado with mayonnaise and mash well with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve each cheeseburger with 3-4 tablespoons avocado mayo and 2 ounces marinated artichoke hearts in oil.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4