One thing that most ketogenic dieters miss when they cut carbs is favorites like pizza, hotdogs, and burgers.
You don't have to go without, though. This keto burger recipe is a bunless burger made with your traditional hamburger patty, but swapping out the typical bun with portobello mushrooms.
Portobello mushrooms are flavorful and delicious, adding extra oomph.
It makes one serving, but you can multiply the ingredients for however many burgers you wish to prepare. Toppings are suggested here, but feel free to choose your own. Try it with the keto blue cheese butter recipe as a spread!
Make your own Guacamole Burger with our keto-friendly guacamole recipe.
Love portobello mushrooms? Try our Portobello Pizza recipe.
Bunless Keto Burger Recipe
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 slices bacon
- 4 ounces ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 slice cheddar cheese (or cheese of your preference)
- 1 slice tomato
- 1/4 cup mixed greens or arugula
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sugar ketchup
- Put the portobello mushroom caps in a bowl or shallow dish and add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and half of the salt and pepper; marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet at medium-low heat until crispy, flipping over a couple of times to evenly cook each side. Set aside for later use as a topping.
- Turn the grill on medium-high heat (about 200-300°F). In a bowl, mix together the ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, and the rest of the salt and pepper. Form into a patty, ideally not quite as wide as the portobello “buns.”
- Put the portobello mushrooms and the burger on the grill (you may need to do this separately if you are preparing multiple servings). Cook the portobello mushrooms for about 3-4 minutes on each side until they are soft and heated through. The burger will take about 5-6 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Put the cheese on the burger for the last minute of cooking to melt.
- Assemble your burger with the bacon and the rest of the toppings between the portobello mushrooms.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1