Keto Ice Cream Options Perfect for a Low-Carb Diet
But with a little creativity and tasty sugar-free substitutes, most desserts can be keto-fied and taste very similar to their traditional carb-loaded counterparts.
Keto ice cream is one of them and we're happy to see that more and more delicious options are available every day.
How keto ice cream differs from traditional ice creamTraditional ice cream contains cream and sugar, and eating one serving will put you over your daily carb limit if you're on the keto diet.
Keto ice cream cuts most of the carbs by replacing the sugar with carb-free sugar substitutes. The most popular keto sweetener options include erythritol, xylitol, monk fruit, and stevia. To mimic the creaminess of traditional ice cream, manufacturers use ingredients such as chicory root, guar gum, xanthan gum, and acacia gum.
Halo Top releases 7 new keto-friendly ice cream flavors[caption id="attachment_7302" align="alignnone" width="1200"] Courtesy: Halo Top[/caption]
Many brands have responded to the consumer demand for keto ice cream. Most recently, Halo Top announced seven new keto-friendly flavors:
- Peanut Butter Chocolate
- Jelly Donut
- Caramel Butter Pecan
- Berry Swirl
- Chocolate Cheesecake
- Banana Cream Pie
- White Chocolaty Macadamia Nut
Each flavor has 5 to 10 grams net carbs and 17 to 22 grams of protein per serving, with a calorie range of 134 to 210 per two-third cup serving.
Best grocery store keto ice cream brandsIf you can't find Halo Top in your local grocery store, here are some other keto ice cream options worthy of trying.
Rebel CreameryRebel pints are made with cream and other high-fat ingredients. Sweetened with erythritol and monk fruit, a pint has 5-8 grams of net carbs.
[caption id="attachment_7283" align="alignnone" width="760"] Courtesy: Rebel Creamery[/caption]
EnlightenedEnlightened ice cream is sweetened with erythritol and monk fruit. Each keto flavor contains 1 gram of net carbs per half-cup serving. Their non-keto flavors contain 4-8 grams of net carbs per serving, depending on the flavor you choose.
[caption id="attachment_7295" align="alignnone" width="600"] Courtesy: Enlightened[/caption]
So Delicious No Sugar Added Dairy FreeSo Delicious, a dairy-free brand, uses full-fat coconut milk to achieve the creamy mouthfeel. The No Sugar Added flavors are sweetened with erythritol and monk fruit extract. Each half-cup serving will set you back 4 grams of net carbs.
[caption id="attachment_7281" align="alignnone" width="600"] Courtesy: So Delicious[/caption]
Easy homemade keto ice cream recipesAnother great option is to make it at home! It's more time consuming but it's not as hard as you might think! Plus, it allows you to control the ingredients you use, including the amount of sweetener.
Here are 7 of our favorite homemade keto ice cream recipes.
1. No-Churn Keto Chocolate Macadamia Nut Butter Ice CreamYou only need 5 ingredients (6 if you include the macadamia nut butter drizzle) to make this simple and delicious low-carb ice cream - with no churning required!
2. Strawberry Soft Serve Keto Ice CreamThis soft serve recipe features sweet and juicy strawberries and KetoLogic’s KetoMeal® shake so you’ll get a beneficial dose of MCT oil powder in each bite.
3. Sugar-Free Keto Chocolate Ice CreamThis recipe requires an ice cream maker and is a keto-fied version of the traditional recipe, using ingredients such as heavy cream, eggs, cocoa, vanilla extract, and erythritol.
4. Mason Jar Ice CreamThis mason jar ice cream recipe by Keto Connect can be thrown together in just ten minutes. Add three hours of freezing time and you have a delicious low-carb ice cream ready to enjoy!
[caption id="attachment_7297" align="alignnone" width="600"] Courtesy: Keto Connect[/caption]
5. Rocky Road Ice CreamThis recipe by Maria Emmerich also requires an ice cream maker, and is a delightful concoction of heavy whipping cream, egg yolks, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Rocky Road additions include sugar-free marshmallows, nuts of your choice (pecans, walnuts, macadamia nuts), and sugar-free chocolate.
[caption id="attachment_7298" align="alignnone" width="600"] Courtesy: Maria Mind Body Health[/caption]
6. Brown Butter Pecan Keto Ice CreamThis recipe by ruled.me uses butter, pecans, heavy whipping cream, and unsweetened coconut milk, plus liquid stevia and xanthan gum.
[caption id="attachment_7299" align="alignnone" width="600"] Courtesy: ruled.me[/caption]
7. Coconut Milk Keto Ice CreamThis recipe by Delish is described as “creamy, rich, and just barely sweet” with a decadent taste due to the coconut milk.
[caption id="attachment_7300" align="alignnone" width="600"] Courtesy: Delish[/caption]
Pro tip: A ridiculously easy way to satisfy your ice cream craving on keto is to whip up some heavy whipping cream with a little sweetener (like erythritol or stevia) and a splash of vanilla or almond extract, then freeze. So good!
Other delicious keto desserts besides ice creamKeto ice cream has come a long way and we are loving it. Just remember to read nutrition labels and track your macros so you stay within your daily net carb goals.
If you're interested in other keto desserts besides ice cream, give these below a try!
Keto Fudgy Brownies with Whipped CreamLow-carb rich chocolatey fudge brownies with homemade whipped cream.
Keto Blueberry CobblerFresh blueberries with a delicious almond flour cobbler crust.
Keto Cheesecake with Chocolate GanacheDecadent cheesecake with a luscious chocolate ganache topping.
Keto Chocolate Chip CookiesTraditional chocolate chip cookies keto-fied with almond flour and erythritol.
Keto Pecan Pie BitesDelicious bite-sized portions of pecan pie that supports a low-carb lifestyle.
*****Valentine's Day is coming up! Get your keto sweetie the perfect Valentine's treat!
No comments yet