Budget-Friendly Keto Recipes and Meal Ideas
But that’s a myth. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg for keto groceries.
Check out these ways to save money when shopping for groceries, and then find our list of favorite budget-friendly keto foods and recipes.
3 Things To Do Before You Shop
1. BudgetBefore you make your meal plan and grocery list, figure out how much money you have to spend on groceries.
You don’t want your spending goal to be unrealistic if you have never budgeted before, so look back on your household’s past grocery spending as a starting point.
Once you set a number as your goal, you can take out cash to make sure you don’t spend over that amount. You can also use a budgeting app like Mint, YNAB, or EveryDollar.
2. Meal planAlways go to the store with a list and a plan.
Meal planning will help you make your keto grocery store run a reality. With online grocery shopping, you can see how much different foods will cost before you head to the store. Or you can place your order online, making it even easier on yourself.
Mix and match from the meals and keto pantry staples below to make a budget-friendly meal plan and grocery shopping list.
VIEW: TIM TEBOW'S 7-DAY KETO MEAL PLAN
3. Eat before you go to the storeIf possible, eat a satisfying meal before you go to the store. If you're hungry, treats around the store might tempt you to break your keto diet. Research shows you’re more likely to make impulse purchases of unhealthy items if you shop on an empty stomach . Shopping with a content and satisfied stomach will help you avoid temptation and steer clear of overspending.
4 Ways to Save While Shopping
1. Shop sales and buy in bulkLook out for sales on items like meat and higher-priced goods. Then stock up when they go on sale. Buy in bulk whenever possible. For example, the per pound cost of meat goes down when you buy a bigger package.
2. Try the discount dollar storeDollar stores often have fresh vegetables and spices at much lower prices than you can find in conventional grocery stores. This budget shopper claims that shopping at Dollar Tree is 80% cheaper than grocery stores.
3. Buy fresh vegetables that are in season, get the others frozenYou can get fresh fruits and vegetables for a lower price if they are in season. In-season produce is more likely to be on sale, too.
For low-carb veggies that you will want to have on hand most of the time, go for the frozen version if they’re out of season. Good examples include broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and kale. Eating frozen vegetables is just as nutritious as their fresh counterparts (if not more) since they’re flash frozen at their peak of freshness. Buying frozen berries is almost always cheaper than buying fresh ones.
4. Opt for cheaper proteinsEggs are a consistently affordable protein and are very versatile. Canned fish, like tuna, is also a staple that you can easily shop on a budget. Look for fresh meat on sale and freeze it for later to save on higher-priced cuts.
Budget-Friendly Low-Carb Food OptionsLet’s start with some staples to have on hand at all times. You can mix and match from the below list for some simple, low-carb meals at an affordable price.
- Deli meat
- Canned tuna (in olive oil)
- Ground meat
- Frozen vegetables
- Whole garlic
- Olive oil
Inexpensive Keto Meal Ideas
1. Meat and cheese wrapsGrab your favorite deli meat and cheese, then roll them up for a quick and easy snack or a light meal. Easy to make, easy to track, and delicious to eat.
2. Meal replacement shakesA KetoLogic KetoMeal shake has all the nutrition you need and perfect keto macros. One meal replacement shake is just $3 per serving!
3. EggsEggs are one of the most nutritious and affordable keto protein sources out there. You can get creative with how you prepare them. Some of our favorite recipes are below. Try them scrambled or fried, or mix up an omelet or frittata. The opportunities for eggs are endless.
Need more inspiration? Check out some of our favorite affordable keto recipes below.
No comments yet