Keto Breakfast: How Science Shows It Helps Control Appetite
This means that a keto breakfast could help you control your hunger rather than relying on willpower alone (which scientists believe is a limited resource[*]). So eating a keto breakfast could help you preserve yours for when you really need it… Like when the inlaws come to visit.
The moral of the story: Eat a keto breakfast to hack your biology and curb hunger, longer.
Download our Master Keto Food List with 100+ keto foods mapped out for you!
In this article, we’ll cover:
How to Use Keto to Curb HungerThe short answer: Eat a high fat, low carb diet.
Most low carb dieters don’t realize the benefits of replacing carbs with fats. Instead, they tend to replace carb-calories with calories from protein. But that won’t let your body become fat-adapted and get into ketosis. That’s because on a low carb diet only (where a large portion of calories are coming from protein), the body will convert excess protein to glucose. It does so through a process called gluconeogenesis[*]. So, while a person may not be eating carbohydrates, they still end up fueling their body with glucose that is made from amino acids, rather than fat. However, if you eat a low carb, high fat diet (i.e., the keto diet), this will allow your body to switch from burning glucose, to burning fat. And when you do that, good things happen… Least of which is better appetite regulation[*]).
While it’s long been known that appetite regulation is a complex beast, there is mounting evidence to support eating higher fat meals to reduce hunger cravings and actually support weight loss[*].
That’s why we recommend starting your day off right with a keto breakfast to hack your biology and curb hunger, longer.
What Does a Keto Breakfast Look Like?In two words: High fat.
The ideal keto breakfast is low carb, moderate protein, and obviously high fat.
Good sources of fats we recommend include:
- Whole foods: Avocados, macadamia nuts, unsweetened coconut flakes
- Butters: Macadamia nut butter, Butter, coconut butter, clarified butter (ghee), cocoa butter, mayonnaise
- Oils: Olive oil, coconut oil, macadamia nut oil, avocado oil
- Supplements: KetoLogic® MCT Oil and Keto Krunch (cheesy crisps)
Top Five Keto Breakfasts
1. Green Egg OmeletThe Green Egg Omelet is a fresh take on the classic omelet. It provides a healthy serving of greens, which instead of being sautéed, are blended in with the eggs for a great texture. Plus you’ll get the right amount of delicious fats from bacon, butter, and feta cheese making this a smart keto breakfast to help you curb cravings.
2. Avocado and Egg ToastAvocado and Egg Toast is made with beaten eggs, 2 tablespoons flaxseed, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, salt and pepper, and then cooked in olive oil in a pan. Once cooked, toast it to make crunchy. Top it with avocado, olive oil, and a fried egg for a heartier meal.
3. KetoMeal® WafflesOur KetoMeal® waffles deliver amazing taste, but also a healthy dose of MCT oil to give you that extra boost of energy. This recipe falls very close to the ideal keto macronutrient ratio, to keep you in ketosis. Plus even non-ketos love it!
4. Portobello PizzasDelicious. If you think cold pizza for breakfast isn’t an option, think again. Use juicy portobello mushrooms for pizza crust to make a keto-friendly version of a delicious cheese and pepperoni pizza.
5. Strawberry Fields MilkshakeIn a rush? Try a shake made with KetoLogic’s KetoMeal® . It’s super fast to make and delivers the ideal macronutrient ratio to support a ketogenic diet. KetoMeal® is a lab-tested meal replacement with a high fat content that can help keep you feeling full for hours. It comes in three flavors.
Want more? Get more Keto-licious recipe hacks here.
You Can Do ThisTwenty-five years ago, the only known appetite-controlling hormone was insulin. Today science is discovering other hormones play a role in hunger, and more recently that nutritional ketosis can enhance key appetite control signals[*].
So start your day off right with a ketogenic breakfast to support appetite control and better energy levels throughout the day[*]. You got this!
No comments yet