Guide to the Vegan Keto Diet
Eat the right foods. Download our Master Keto Food List with 100+ keto foods mapped out for you!
Limiting Carbs on a Vegan Keto DietAs with any keto diet, carbs should only make up a small amount of the vegan keto diet (about 5%). Here are some high-carb foods to avoid:
- Grains – wheat, rice, corn
- Sugar – honey, agave, maple syrup, sugar (just in case you needed to hear it)
- Tubers – potatoes and yams
- High-Carb Fruits – apples, oranges, and bananas
- Vegan “Meats” – tofu, tempeh, seitan
- Oils – MCT, avocado, olive, coconut, macadamia
- Leafy Greens – arugula, spinach, kale
- Herbs – cilantro, basil, oregano
- Low-Carb Fruits – avocados (the best one!), raspberries, blackberries, lemons, limes
- Nuts and Seeds – macadamia nuts, almonds, coconut meat, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds
- High-Fat “Dairy” – unsweetened coconut-based yogurt, coconut cream, vegan cheeses
- Beverages – unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk, sparkling waters, tea, coffee
- Cooking and Baking Extras – erythritol, stevia, almond flour, hot sauce, vanilla extract, etc.
Vegan Alternatives to Keto StaplesThere are tons of great resources for keto meals and recipes, but it can be harder to find vegan keto recipes. Instead of scouring the Internet for options, try these vegan keto alternatives to typical keto staples:
- Replace milk with coconut milk. Milk can be substituted for coconut milk in a 1 to 1 ratio in most recipes .
- Replace heavy cream with coconut cream. Heavy cream is a great source of fat on the keto diet, but coconut cream works just as well. You may need to add or take out some water depending on the consistency, but it’s a great substitute.
- Replace butter with coconut oil or vegan butter. Coconut oil is a great substitute for butter, but if you don’t like the taste, there are plenty of vegan butters that will work instead.
- Replace dairy-based cheese with vegan cheese. There’s a seemingly endless supply of vegan cheeses these days, so you can easily find one that works for you.
- Replace eggs with flaxseed. Flaxseed is a great binding agent for recipes using almond flour or coconut flour. Substitute an egg with one tablespoon of ground flaxseed and three tablespoons of water .
- Replace eggs with baking soda and vinegar. This is a good substitute for fluffier baked goods. Replace one egg with a teaspoon of baking soda and a tablespoon of white vinegar .
- Replace eggs with vegan eggs. There are some great vegan egg replacements out there, such as Bob’s Red Mill Vegan Egg Replacer and VeganEgg.
Eating Enough FatFat makes up most of the keto diet, and the vegan keto diet is no different. But without relying on meat or dairy, it can be difficult for vegan keto dieters to eat enough fat. Here are some high-fat foods to help you meet your daily fat macros:
Oils are an awesome way to ensure you’re getting enough fat in your diet. Coconut, macadamia, avocado, MCT, and olive oils are high in healthy fats with no carbs at all. If you’re looking to take oils on the go, check out FBOMB Premium Oils.
If you’ve been around KetoLogic for any amount of time, you probably know our love of avocados is unmatched. A typical avocado has 29g of fat and only 4g of net carbs . Best of all, there are a ton of ways to use avocados to spice up just about any recipe.
Check out our keto-friendly guacamole recipe.
Nuts and Seeds
Nuts and seeds are a great way to add fat into your diet. Macadamia nuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans, and cashews are all great options, as well as coconut meat and pumpkin, chia, sunflower, and sesame seeds. And if you’re looking for a convenient way to take keto-friendly nuts anywhere you go, check out FBOMB Nut Butters for a portable shot of energy wherever you go.
ConclusionAt first glance, it may seem like the keto and vegan diets are incompatible. However, with a little creativity and the right know-how, the vegan keto diet is delicious, nutritious, and easy to do.
Looking for great keto recipes? Check out our full recipe collection here.
Need a vegan keto energy boost? Try KetoLogic BHB!
*Cucumber-Lime BHB is NOT vegan. All other BHB flavors are vegan-friendly.
No comments yet