This recipe for keto-friendly butternut squash soup is very easy to prepare and the results are delicious. It’s best to pair this soup with a protein to balance the macronutrients, as the carbs are a little high compared to the protein. One easy way to balance that ratio is by simply adding shredded chicken or pork to the soup. Just one cup of protein can bring this soup very close to the ideal 75/20/5 macro range.
This recipe is: keto-friendly, low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free, no added sugar
New to keto? Check out our article debunking the top 4 keto myths!
Need a sugar-free energy boost? Try KetoLogic BHB Exogenous Ketones!
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed (can be found pre-cut in the produce section)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pieces bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Truvia Brown Sugar Blend
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the butternut squash cubes in a bowl with the olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Lay the squash evenly on a lightly sprayed/greased sheet pan and roast in the oven for about 25-30 minutes (rotating the pan halfway through) until it begins to brown and is soft all the way through.
- Put the chopped bacon in a large soup pot and turn the heat on medium-low. Let the fat render slowly, stirring often with a spoon for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the butter, onion and garlic; cook until soft (about another 5 minutes), stirring often.
- Increase the heat to high and add the white wine; stir constantly for about 45 seconds until most of the liquid has evaporated, scraping any bits off of the bottom of the pot.
- Add the next 5 ingredients and the roasted butternut squash and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat off. Season with the artificial brown sugar, dash of hot sauce and salt and pepper. Blend the soup with an immersion stick blender or scoop into a blender and puree until smooth. Adjust seasoning as needed with salt, pepper or spice. Sweeten with more brown sugar blend if needed.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 8