Keto Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Got a hankering for some low-carb Chinese food?
These keto Asian chicken lettuce wraps will totally fit the bill.
We use delicious keto-friendly ingredients like chicken, water chestnuts, red bell peppers, and onions to make a healthy mixture that goes inside each lettuce leaf.
But the kicker? Ingredients like peanut butter, soy sauce, and KetoLogic Erythritol come together perfectly to form a deliciously sweet and savory sauce.
Trust us, you'll never feel the need to go to P.F. Chang’s to get your lettuce wrap fix again.
And this recipe might just inspire you to start using lettuce leaves for other low-carb dishes. After all, they're versatile, low calorie, and incredibly good for you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground chicken
- Red bell pepper
- Water chestnuts
- Fresh ginger
- Soy sauce
- Peanut butter
- Sesame oil
- Rice wine vinegar
- KetoLogic Erythritol
What Types of Lettuce (Greens) Are Good on the Keto Diet?There are several types of lettuce that are keto-friendly.
- Romaine lettuce
- Iceberg lettuce
- Bibb lettuce
- Butter lettuce
What Types of Lettuce are Best for Wraps?
Bibb or butter lettuce are the two best types you can use for these keto Asian chicken lettuce wraps.
Both have large, easy-to-remove leaves that make prep easy and give you enough real estate to add fillings to them without breaking.
You could also technically use cabbage leaves. They're not the same as lettuce (and they do have a more distinct flavor) but would work perfectly for this recipe in a pinch.
How Do You Keep Lettuce Fresh?If properly stored, lettuce leaves can last more than a week in the fridge. Here's how to make sure that happens:
- Wash the lettuce when you bring it home (before it goes in the fridge).
- Spin it in a salad spinner or hand dry it to get the excess water off. Make sure the lettuce goes into the fridge at least still slightly damp. Not saturated, but some moisture is a good thing.
- Store it in the crisper section/drawer so they last as long as possible.
- Don't seal lettuce off or put it anywhere it can't get air*
How Do You Prepare Lettuce for Wraps?Here's how to prepare your lettuce for these lettuce wraps.
- Trim off the stems
- Remove any damaged or dead leaves from the batch. One bad apple can ruin its neighbors!
- Peel off lettuce leaves one by one, placing them in a bowl or sink filled ice cold water. Gently move the lettuce around to help remove dirt and debris from them.
- Dry them off using a salad spinner or gently dab with paper towels or a clean kitchen cloth.
What Are Other Ways to Use Lettuce on Keto?There are so many ways to use lettuce on the keto diet! Some of our favorites are:
- As a bread "replacement" for sandwiches, burgers, and wraps: Okay, it doesn't taste like bread. But you can still make a nice wrap replacement. Or you can skip the wrapping altogether and just use lettuce as a bed of greens for your protein.
- In salads: Salads are a fantastic meal on keto. Buy several different types of lettuce to add variety to your salads!
- In smoothies: Tossing a handful of greens into the blender gives you a serious boost of nutrients without sacrificing flavor. It might change the color of your drink, though!
What are the Health Benefits of Lettuce?Lettuce is :
- Low-calorie and low-carb
- Loaded with vitamins A, C, and K
- Full of 7 different essential minerals your body needs, like iron and potassium
- A surprisingly good way to hydrate yourself (it's more than 90% water)
- Packed with carotenoids, an antioxidant that helps protect your body from diseases like cancer and diabetes 
Other Keto Asian Recipes You’ll Love
Keto Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe
- 1 pound ground chicken (dark meat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 (8-oz can) water chestnuts, drained and minced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 scallions, diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar (unseasoned)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon KetoLogic Erythritol
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head butter lettuce for serving
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl (soy sauce through erythritol), mix well, and set aside.
- Prepare the lettuce cups and place in the refrigerator.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the ground chicken until cooked through.
- Add in the diced onion, bell pepper, water chestnuts, and carrots. Saute for a few minutes until softened.
- Add in the garlic and fresh ginger and saute for another minute or two until fragrant.
- Mix in the sauce and stir until evenly coated for 2 minutes.
- Add in the chopped scallions and stir for 30 seconds.
- Serve by spooning the filling into lettuce cups. Garnish with more scallions if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4
No comments yet