Keto Egg Muffins
Looking for a quick and delicious keto-friendly breakfast option?
Look no further. These keto egg muffins are as tasty as your favorite omelette, but way more convenient if you need to eat them on-the-go. They're also a great keto diet option for parties, brunches, or potlucks.
Any diet can benefit from a simple, tasty recipe like this one. If you make this recipe, be sure to post a photo on Instagram and tag @ketologic!
Ingredients Used In This Recipe:
- Olive oil
- Bell peppers
- Heavy whipping cream
- Cream cheese
Before we get to the recipe, let's look at why these keto egg muffins are a great breakfast option for busy mornings. Plus, we'll look at the top benefits of the 4 health "superstars" in this recipe.
What Makes These Keto Egg Muffins Perfect For Breakfast
A 2017 study confirms what many people already know to be true: people who plan their meals in advance eat healthier, weigh less, and get a wider variety of vitamins and minerals in their diet.
We've all had mornings where we need to be out the door at 7am. On those days, sleeping trumps breakfast so we skip it, thinking we'll make up for it or grab a bite to eat after the morning settles down.
Then all of a sudden it's 2pm, and we find ourselves gorging on sweets or turning to fast food because we are ravenous.
While the weight loss benefits of intermittent fasting are well-documented, many people simply do better (and find it easier to stick to their diet) when they eat a healthy breakfast.
This is what makes these keto egg muffins perfect for your fast-paced mornings.
You can prep twelve of them in under 30 minutes on Sunday afternoon, then grab them on your way out during the week.
They're full of fat and protein with minimal carbs, so you'll stay full until noon, at which point you can pull out the keto lunch you packed.
Simple, delicious, and chock full of healthy vitamins and minerals. What's not to like?
If you still need convincing, consider the benefits of the four healthiest ingredients in these keto egg muffins.
Top 4 Healthiest Ingredients In This Keto Egg Muffins Recipe
Eggs are inexpensive and highly nutritious, as they're full of protein, healthy fats, B vitamins, and other essential minerals .
In fact, a 2019 study called eggs one of the healthiest foods in the world, but also said scientists are still only scratching the surface on what makes eggs so good for us.
For example, we're just learning that eggs are full of bioactive compounds, which can fight inflammation and remove cancer-causing free radicals in the body .
If you had to live on one veggie for the rest of your life, spinach might be the best choice you could make—especially for a keto diet.
It's very low in carbs, plus packed with nutrients which have been shown to reduce inflammation, reverse oxidative damage to cells, and reduce hunger .
That shouldn't be a huge surprise, considering that one cup of raw spinach contains more than 20 vitamins and minerals .
3. Olive Oil
Olive oil is packed with polyphenols and monounsaturated fats, which help ward off diseases like cancer and may reduce your risk of heart disease .
Plus, it's one of three healthy cooking oils that you can consume liberally on the keto diet (coconut oil and avocado oil are the other two).
This ancient spice went mainstream a few years ago, and for good reason.
It's become well-known for its ability to reduce inflammation and remove free radicals from the body .
(By the way, we've talked a lot about foods that reduce inflammation. Anti-inflammatory foods help improve brain function, reduce aches and pains in your joints, and even prolong your life expectancy because they ward off many deadly diseases .)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 8 large eggs
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray cooking oil into a 12-cup muffin tin to coat evenly.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and cook the bacon until crispy; remove from pan and drain on paper towels, chop or crumble into pieces. Wipe bacon grease out with a paper towel, leaving a small amount to cook the vegetables.
- In the same pan, add the olive oil to the bacon drippings and sauté the peppers and garlic for a minute. Add the spinach and cook for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Meanwhile in a bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy whipping cream, cream cheese, minced onion, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked veggies and bacon to the egg mixture and stir together.
- Ladle out even portions of the egg mixture into the muffin pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot or warm. Garnish with parsley or cilantro just before serving, if desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 12
No comments yet