Not many diets are going to encourage you to make a trip to McDonald's for a Shamrock Shake this St. Patrick's Day. But at least you can still make a delicious, diet-friendly substitute at home.
Our keto Shamrock Shake recipe cuts out all the junk from the original recipe, and uses KetoLogic's KetoMeal instead.
Instead of sugar and tons of carbs, you get a healthy fat-fueled dose of MCT oil and heavy whipping cream. And instead of preservatives and lots of calories, you get a seasonal treat that may actually help you lose weight and support ketosis.
If you make this recipe, be sure to post a photo on Instagram and tag @ketologic.
Why You Should Try This Keto Shamrock Shake
First and foremost, our low-carb high-fat version is a much healthier option than the McDonald's version.
- 790 calories
- 130 grams of carbs
- 112 grams of sugar (!)
- Very few vitamins and minerals, other than a good dose of calcium
- Corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup
- Fat: 25%
- Protein: 9%
- Carbohydrates: 66%
We don't mean to rain on your parade if this is one of your favorite annual treats. But let's just say it's probably a good thing it only comes around once a year for a limited time.
Our keto Shamrock Shake is nothing like the original version. It's made with KetoLogic KetoMeal, which is full of healthy fats, and uses keto-friendly sweeteners to make sure you stay within your daily carb macros.
It's also packed with medium-chain triglycerides, or MCT oil, which have been shown to support weight loss.
This Recipe Is:
Ingredients Featured in this Recipe:
Top Health Benefits of MCT Oil
1. MCT Oil Promotes Weight Loss
MCTs have been shown to promote weight loss for a number of reasons:
- Suppresses appetite: MCT oil promotes the release of certain hormones that control hunger and appetite .
- Enhances ketosis: Multiple studies show MCT oil helps promote ketosis, and may make it easier to adjust to a low-carb diet when you first start .
- Supports fat loss: Because MCT oils are an immediate source of energy, studies show they mobilize fatty acids faster than other types of fat, which can help you lose weight .
Pretty awesome, right? That's not all they're good for, though.
2. MCT Oil Provides Powerful Fuel for your Brain
If you've been on a diet before, you know success has as much to do with the thing between your ears—your brain—as anything else does. Your mind plays a big role in decision-making and helping you stick to your diet.
MCT oil can help keep your brain performing at a high level. Because they're smaller than other fats (medium-chain, as opposed to long-chain), the body can digest MCTs instantly, which provides fuel for your brain and other organs . Plus, a 2009 study found MCT oil enhances brain function and clarity.
3. MCT Oil May Help Improve Blood Markers, Like Cholesterol
Blood markers, like cholesterol, can help determine your risk of diseases.The good news is your MCT-rich Shamrock Shake might help lower these markers . Several studies have found medium-chain triglycerides have positive effects on our blood chemistry. Weight loss helps improve these numbers, too .
Lucky for you, this keto Shamrock Shake can satisfy your milkshake craving and support ketosis! And it only takes a few minutes to whip up!
- 2 scoops vanilla KetoLogic KetoMeal
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¼-¾ cup water, depending on desired consistency
- 1 cup ice
- Green food coloring (optional)
- Sugar-free chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 scoop vanilla KetoLogic Keto BHB (optional)
- In a blender, add the KetoMeal, heavy cream, peppermint extract, and ice. Blend on high until smooth.
- Add in the water and food coloring (if using). For more vanilla flavor (plus some ketones and electrolytes), add a scoop of vanilla BHB.
- Blend again for one minute.
- Serve with homemade whipped cream and top with sugar-free chocolate chips if desired.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Yield: 2