This keto-friendly recipe for prime rib is much easier to prepare than you might anticipate. It is always a crowd pleaser for dinner parties, but it can also be a low-carb weeknight dinner with the family that will yield lots of leftovers. After shrinkage during cooking, this recipe yields about 8-10 (½-1 pound) servings.
This recipe is: keto-friendly, low-carb, gluten-free, grain-free, no added sugar
Looking for the perfect cut of beef? Check out our article on Grass-Fed Beef vs. Grain-Fed Beef.
Just starting a keto diet? Take THE KETO 30 Challenge!
- 1 boneless prime rib roast (8-12 pounds)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup horseradish, drained
- juice from half a lemon
- dash of Tabasco
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Score fat side by slicing several times all the way down the prime rib; be careful not to slice all the way into the meat. Rub all over with olive oil and season generously all around. Don’t be afraid to go heavy on the seasoning; the measurements are just a guideline. Ideally, season it the night before.
- Remove from the refrigerator at least 1 hour before cooking and allow the prime rib to get to room temperature.
- Set oven to 450-500 degrees. Roast for about 20 minutes with the fan on high (if that is an option for your oven). Then, set oven on broil setting and continue cooking for another 8 minutes. Lower temperature to 325 degrees. Continue to roast for another hour and 20 minutes.
- Check temperature and remove from oven when you reach about 115-120 degrees. It may need significantly more time. A 15-pounder can take over 3 hours at 325 degrees. Let rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour before slicing.
- For the Horseradish Cream, mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, horseradish, lemon juice, and Tabasco. Then season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Yield: 8-10