Low Carb Shake Buy Now
Recipe by Brandon McDearis
This simple pesto recipe is a great topper for chicken, fish and beef, and it is also a delicious way to sneak fat into a meal when tossed with vegetables or low-carb noodles. With a 4.2:1 (fat/net carb + protein) ratio, it is a perfect nutrient-dense addition to either a protein or carbohydrate.
- 2 cups of fresh basil leaves, packed
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano cheese, freshly grated
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 3 medium-sized garlic cloves, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a food processor, combine the basil with the pine nuts and pulse a few times. Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
- Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Note: Spinach and arugula both work well, either in addition to, or in place of the basil. It is also a great way to slip some extra nutrients into your pesto. Just make sure to adjust the rest of the ingredients depending on how much you add.
- Yield: 8