Healthy, delicious, and simple-to-prepare dinner recipes can be hard to come by. Especially if you're living the low-carb life and trying to make food that everyone will eat. That's why you need to try this keto lemon herb salmon recipe. Not only is it delicious, but the herbs and spices are all things you can find in your fridge or pantry.
Plus, salmon is probably the most keto-friendly protein source on the market. It's full of healthy fats, loaded with protein, and packed with vitamins and minerals that keep your body feeling great.
And it's ready in under 30 minutes, meaning you can toss it together on a busy weekday after work.
- Serve it with one of these keto side dishes: Roasted Brussels Sprouts or Roasted Broccoli with Garlic and Parmesan
Let's look at some reasons you'll love this keto salmon recipe, and 4 amazing health benefits of eating fatty fish like salmon.
If you make this recipe, be sure to post a photo on Instagram and tag @ketologic!
Why You Should Try This Keto Salmon Recipe
If you want to make the keto diet work for you, it's imperative that you have lots of delicious protein-and-fat packed recipes in your arsenal.
Why? Because on keto, most people eat at least 100 grams of protein per day .
(If that seems like a lot, you'll eat even more grams of fat.)
To keep your carbs under 50 grams per day like the keto diet calls for, you have to eat lots of protein and fat. And that's much easier if you enjoy what you're eating.
Fortunately, you have several protein sources to choose from: chicken, eggs, beef, and seafood, for example.
Pound for pound, though, salmon is probably the healthiest, most keto-friendly protein option you have.
Just consider the nutrition facts of just 3 ounces of salmon (that's smaller than one serving of this recipe) :
- 18 grams of protein
- 7.6 grams of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (which are good for your heart—see the next section for more)
- Zero carbs
- Liberal amounts of B vitamins, vitamin K, selenium, thiamin, and niacin
This keto lemon herb salmon recipe is made with fresh herbs, healthy fats (olive oil and butter), and lemons, which offer a bunch of health benefits on their own, too.
The recipe is simple enough to make it on a weeknight, but also tasty enough to serve for a nice dinner with keto and non-keto friends alike.
And you can be happy knowing you served them one healthy piece of protein.
Top 4 Health Benefits of Salmon
These benefits will make it clear why you should give this keto salmon recipe a try.
1. Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids
Salmon, along with other fatty fish like sardines, tuna, and halibut are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for human health.
Here's just three of the things omega-3s do for your body :
- Regulate cellular and nervous system function
- Help with blood clotting
- Reduce inflammation, which may reduce your risk of diseases
More recently, studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids are even more important for people who exercise, as they help with muscle repair after workouts and improve oxygen production.
2. Salmon is packed with B vitamins
Vitamin B6 and B12 are both found in abundance in salmon. And like omega-3s, they are absolutely essential for overall health.
B vitamins are sort of like the key that holds all cellular functions together . They improve your energy levels, keep your brain healthy, and regulate your metabolism, which is important for weight loss.
3. Eating salmon may help protect against heart disease
Did you know eating fatty fish can help protect you against cardiovascular disease?
4. Eating salmon may help you lose weight fasterAt least two science-backed ways indicate that salmon can help you lose weight:
- One 2015 study found that the omega-3s in salmon and other fatty fishes may help reduce belly fat quicker (when combined with exercise).
- Salmon is full of protein, and multiple studies show that protein-packed foods reduce the level of ghrelin in your body . Ghrelin, sometimes called the "hunger hormone," is responsible for cravings and hunger sensations, which play a huge role in the success of a diet .
These are some pretty impressive health benefits, right?
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (4-ounce) salmon filets
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Juice from one lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 8 thinly sliced pieces of lemon
- If using the oven, preheat to 375 degrees F. If using an outdoor grill, prepare it to medium-high heat.
- Arrange salmon filets individually on pieces of aluminum foil. Drizzle olive oil evenly over the filets and rub the oil into the skin. Season each filet with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the dijon, melted butter, lemon juice, garlic, dill and parsley in a bowl. Spoon or brush the mixture over the salmon and top each piece with two slices of lemon.
- Fold the foil over and seal completely. Repeat for remaining filets. Place sealed foil packets on a large sheet pan.
- If using the oven, bake for about 20 minutes until just cooked through. If using a grill, place salmon packets directly on grill for 8-10 minutes. Be careful of steam when you open the packets.
- Serve with a low-carb side.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-20 minutes
- Yield: 4