How good does a keto sandwich made with pork belly and fried eggs sound?
And what if we served it with a side of creamed cauliflower rice made with cinnamon, cream cheese, and heavy whipping cream?
We can't speak for you—but to us, that kind of sounds like the perfect meal.
Maybe you've noticed that pork belly has gotten insanely popular in recent years. Restaurants all over the country are using it in a number of different ways, from tacos to carnitas.
It's pretty clear to us that there's a reason it got so popular. Not only is pork belly delicious, it's also affordable and versatile. You can do so many different things with it, and it almost always tastes fantastic.
We're pretty sure after you try this keto sandwich, you‘ll be looking for more ways to incorporate pork belly into your low-carb diet. Enjoy!
- Pork belly
- Cream cheese
- Whipping cream
- Riced cauliflower
What is Pork Belly?
As the name suggests, pork belly is a cut of boneless meat that comes from the belly of a pig. In terms of taste and texture, it is pretty similar to bacon, although the thickness of the pieces make it different.
Pork belly can be prepared a number of different ways. You can cure it, smoke it, slow roast it, or even throw it in the Instant Pot.
It has a high fat profile (about 90% of it is fat), which means slower cooking methods are preferable. Cooking at lower temperatures allows the fat to melt over the meat in the pork belly, resulting in a more flavorful and tender end product.
If you cook it too fast, the exterior will cook before the inside has a chance to do that.
That said, you should finish your pork belly on higher heat to help the exterior crisp up. The crunchy-fatty combination is something you don't want to miss!
Ingredient HighlightsCheck out how these three ingredients make this pork belly sandwich worth trying!
- Pork belly: This cut of meat contains zero carbs, which makes it perfect for a low-carb or keto diet. It also contains 15g of protein per serving, which helps you stay full longer after you eat. Pork belly also contains lots of B vitamins and healthy minerals like selenium and phosphorus . And did we mention it's delicious?
- Cream cheese: This ingredient helps thicken up the side of creamed cauliflower that perfectly complements this pork belly sandwich. Cream cheese is very low-carb, and also contains vitamins A, E and K. And like pork belly, it has minerals your body needs, such as zinc, potassium and calcium !
- Cauliflower: In our opinion, there isn't a better low-carb vegetable option than cauliflower. It's loaded with fiber, which is good for gut health and offsetting net carbs. Plus it contains more than 12 essential vitamins and minerals !
Other Keto Recipes You’ll Enjoy
- Keto Pigs In A Blanket
- Bunless Cheeseburger with Avocado Mayo and Artichokes
- Keto Pork Ribs with Asian Slaw
Pork Belly Keto Sandwich With Cream of Cauliflower Recipe
- 4 ounces pork belly, cooked (see note)
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup riced cauliflower, thawed if previously frozen
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Sandwich: Heat cooked pork belly according to package directions until warm throughout.
- Slice pork belly into 4 even slices, 1-ounce each, and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry eggs to desired level of doneness, making sure that they do not run together.
- To assemble each sandwich, place 1 fried egg between 2 slices of pork belly.
- Cream of Cauliflower: Melt together 2 tablespoons butter and cream cheese in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in heavy whipping cream until well blended.
- Add riced cauliflower and cinnamon and stir until well coated with creamy mixture.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cauliflower is tender and mixture is thick and creamy, 8-10 minutes. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2