But diets like the ketogenic diet don’t have to feel restrictive.
One way to expand your horizons is to use the most versatile keto-friendly foods that allow you to expand your keto repertoire.
Heavy whipping cream is a great example. (HWC is the common acronym used in the keto community.)
Heavy cream is full of energizing fats and can be used in keto-friendly breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. In fact, heavy cream could even be used as a meal substitute—like in your keto coffee— that can help you lose weight faster.
Also See: Tim Tebow’s Keto Mocha Coffee Recipe
What Is Heavy Whipping Cream?Heavy cream (also known as "heavy whipping cream") is a cream that contains 36-40% milkfat.
Heavy cream has more fat in it than whole milk, making it a versatile kitchen ingredient. The extra fat means it can be heated to higher temperatures without curdling and can be whipped more easily into toppings like whipped cream.
And because it’s high-fat and low-carb, heavy cream is great for keto dieters. You can use it to prepare keto dinners and side dishes, keto-friendly baked goods, and keto desserts (check out the recipes later in this article).
Heavy Cream Nutrition FactsOn average, one tablespoon of heavy cream contains 51 calories. Nearly all of those calories (over 96%) are fat calories .
The macronutrient breakdown of one tablespoon of heavy cream is:
- 5.4g fat
- 0.4g carbs
- 0.4g protein
As you can see, heavy cream fits perfectly into the ketogenic diet.
Is Heavy Cream Healthy?Since heavy cream is primarily made up of fat, the health benefits of dietary fat are available to anyone that uses it. Fat helps us digest fat-soluble vitamins like vitamins A, D, E, and K.
If you’re new to keto, you might not know that low-carb/high-fat diets like the ketogenic diet have been shown to support weight loss, minimize/prevent sugar crashes, and reverse or reduce the effects of diseases like diabetes .
On the keto diet, your body works in a state called ketosis, where you burn fat as a primary fuel source. Ketones, a natural chemical made in the liver, convert fat into energy that the body then uses.
For more on the keto diet, join the KETO 30 Challenge.
The idea behind keto and other low-carb diets is that after adapting to eating a low-carb diet, your body turns into a 24/7 fat-burning machine. Without glucose, your body gets used to burning fat and weight loss comes easier and faster.
Heavy cream is perfect for low-carb diets like keto. You can use it to stay in ketosis and keep burning fat as a primary fuel source.
How Can I Use Heavy Cream On Keto?Here are some options for using heavy cream on the keto diet.
1. Use Heavy Cream to Boost Your Morning CoffeeMany people drink coffee or tea in the morning while on the keto diet. Coffee contains caffeine, which has a natural metabolism-boosting effect. Your body burns more calories doing nothing when you drink caffeinated products.
And because coffee and tea are low-calorie beverages that only contain trace amounts of the three macronutrients, they’re both keto-friendly. You could—in theory—drink as much coffee as you’d like and stay in a state of ketosis.
Adding heavy cream into your coffee gives your body more energy while keeping you in a fat-burning state. Check out these delicious keto coffee recipes with heavy cream:
Later on, we’ll discuss whether adding fat to your morning coffee can help you lose weight faster.
2. Use Heavy Cream to Make Keto Desserts
Perhaps the most exciting way to use heavy cream on the keto diet is to concoct delicious, low-carb, high-fat desserts and baked goods. You can bake or whip up some fantastic treats with heavy cream.
Here are some of our favorite desserts that use heavy cream:
- 5-Ingredient Keto Ice Cream
- Orange Creamsicle Shake
- Soft-Serve Strawberry Keto Ice Cream
- Fudgy Keto Brownies with Whipped Cream
- Low-Carb Keto Cheesecake with Chocolate Ganache
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Butter Keto Fat Bombs
3. Use Heavy Cream In Dinner Entrees or Side DishesMaybe not as exciting as keto ice cream, but heavy cream works well in keto-friendly dinner entrees and side dishes, too. Heavy cream thickens up sauces and gives dishes a smooth texture.
Here are some dinner and side dishes you might like:
- Chicken Curry
- Braised Short Ribs with Cream of Onion Soup
- Jerk Chicken with Creamy Jamaican Sauce
- Creamed Spinach
- Mahi-Mahi with Beurre Blanc
- Keto Fisherman’s Chowder
- Keto Cauliflower Puree
4. Add Heavy Cream to Smoothies or Meal Replacement ShakesHeavy whipping cream provides a creamy, decadent texture to keto smoothies and keto meal replacement shakes. You can enjoy heavy cream in any shake, smoothie, or keto meal replacement recipe, but here are our favorites.
- Tim Tebow’s Chocolate Keto Smoothie with Nut Butter
- Strawberry Banana Keto Smoothie
- Keto Orange Creamsicle Shake
- Mocha Cookies & Cream Smoothie
- Keto Strawberry Fields Milkshake
- 1 scoop of your favorite KetoMeal flavor
- ¼ cup of heavy cream
- 6 ounces water
Can Heavy Cream In Coffee Help You Lose Weight?Just a few years ago, you couldn’t tell someone you put fat in your morning coffee without getting a weird look. But these days, putting fats like heavy cream in your coffee is very popular.
Combining fat sources like heavy cream, butter, or MCT oil with caffeine can expedite weight loss and help you reach your health goals faster.
- Product shout-out: KetoLogic MCT Oil Coffee Creamer
People who drink boosted coffee in the morning boast that they have sustained energy, increased alertness, and fewer hunger cravings. People often replace breakfast with "fat coffee" to lose weight, reap the performance benefits, or both.
But does it work? And is it healthy?
The Science Says...The research on this topic is limited, but consider this: you could be depriving your body of key nutrients like vitamins and minerals by replacing a meal with this coffee drink. Coffee with a fat boost might help you lose weight faster, but be sure you are making up the nutrients you’re missing out on from breakfast later on in the day .
Heavy Cream and Keto: Final ThoughtsHeavy cream is a great staple for those enjoying a ketogenic or low-carb lifestyle. It's extremely versatile - use it in your morning coffee, add it to soups and sauces, whip it up as a keto brownie topping or as a dip for berries. Ever tried frozen whipped cream? It's like ice cream. Try it and thank us later.
Check out more keto recipes and meal ideas on KetoLogic.com, along with training, nutrition, and workout advice!